With any new technology there are always a lot of questions and doubts around taking the leap.
However the resounding success that our frontier breaking clients have experienced so far in their journey with us only solidifies our believe this 3 minute routine is the future of health and ultimate wellness.
So to address commonly asked questions and misconceptions our Owner, Eugene Pienaar, has sat down to write a very informative piece on the process and benefits of Whole Body Cryotherapy.
Whole Body Cryotherapy: The Process & The Pros
As we age and our bodies degenerate, we become more susceptible to illness and ailments which are often promoted by high levels of inflammation in the body
If pain and discomfort are your everyday reality; if you’re suffering from injuries or inflammatory related conditions, then you should try cryotherapy.
What is cryotherapy?
A medical treatment that involves exposing patients to extremely cold, dry air (between -120 and -160 degrees Celsius) for 2 to 3 minutes, in what is referred to as CryoSauna. Although the treatment sounds extreme, it is completely safe and most people find it pleasurable. Clients experiencing the dry air find it more favourable than taking a cold shower.
How it works?
- The extremely cold air stimulates the cold receptors 0.5mm under the skin which communicates this stimulus to the part of the brain that regulates body temperature.
- In response, the body jumps into action by changing its physiological state.
- A key success factor of the treatment is the body’s ability to cycle through a process called vasoconstriction followed by vasodilation. This means that at first, most of the blood flows out of the skin to minimise heat exchange with the environment. Immediately after, the body restores balance by increasing blood flow, to these areas, by up to 400% to these areas. This allows for a significant influx of oxygen and nutrient supply to these regions. It also improves the body’s microcirculation in the longer term.
- Various hormones such as beta-endorphins, nor-epinephrine and others are released which reduce pain, decrease inflammation and improves the body’s ability to heal itself.
- For those keen on burning extra calories, the treatment drastically speeds up its metabolism as it reheats itself. Some studies suggest that up to 800 additional calories are burned from a single Whole Body Cryotherapy session.
Whole Body Cryotherapy is best understood when compared to exercise. While one training session has an impact on the body, it takes 6 weeks of frequent training to get fit and function on an improved level. Similarly, people experience benefits from cryotherapy sessions immediately but it also takes about 6 weeks of frequent sessions for the body to adapt and change its physiology. Only then does the body function at a superior level. People can expect to feel more energised, be less stressed and recover much faster than before.